Friday, August 24, 2007

August 24, 2007 Convenience Charges

Let’s talk about these so-called “Convenience Fees” that Ticketmaster and other ticket organizations like to throw onto the end of your purchase.

I’ve recently bought tickets to a few different shows around the area. I’ll provide a screenshot of my latest purchase just to give you a better sense.

$10 tickets, awesome, that’s something to get excited about. You can’t even find that price at old washed-up band concerts like Everclear or Rip Van Winkle. But wait, what’s this? I’m paying for a building facility charge? What does that even mean? I’d rather you just tack that onto the total cost so I can’t see how you’re ripping me off. And from what I understand, this price changes (at the same venue nonetheless) depending on the face-value of tickets. And a Convenience Charge? What’s the convenience? I get to drive an hour to the show, deal with the traffic and parking, wash the puke off my car from a 17 year old girl that’s drinking for the first time, pick up my tickets, and THEN sardine my way in through the doors to see the bands. Sounds pretty convenient to me Mr. Corporate Exec. That’s not convenience. Sending two blonde models to my door delivering me my tickets on a silver platter is convenient; emailing me my tickets to I can print them out using my own ink and own paper is not convenient, so don’t take my money for work I’m doing. And then you charge me for processing my ticket. So basically what you’re telling me is that my ticket cost me $10, and the charges you incurred were $15.70 . . . maybe I’m a little stingy, but what? Last I heard, Massachusetts sales tax was 5%, not 157%! Luckily I enjoyed the show and my $8 cans of beer (I won’t even get started).

And another show I ordered tickets for only charged me $4 as a service charge. I was pretty excited about that . . . until I realized they charged me $2.50 as a “Shipping Charge.” Side story: they EMAILED me my tickets. I’m not a tech wiz, but last I checked you just click the button that says “send,” and that’s even if it’s not a fully automated process. Not to whine, but I’m tired of getting nickel and dimed for these B-S so-called “convenience charges” by these conglomerates.

I pledge never to give Ticketmaster another dime of my hard earned money.


Song of the Week: “Spilled Milk Factory” by Ugly Casanova.

Quote of the Week: “Have a nice day. That’s the trouble with ‘Have a nice day.’ It puts all the pressure on you. Now you have to go out and somehow arrange to have a positive experience.” – George Carlin

Random Fact of the Week: 7.5 million toothpicks can be created from a cord of wood.

Picture of the Week: I’m confused . . . why’s he holding a sewing machine?

Until next week, London calling to the faraway towns.


Fred

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think I have something to look forward to every Friday. I feel your pain. I'm buying copious amounts of Giants tickets at 1:00 PM when they go on sale. Can't wait to hold my ankles on those charges...