Friday, August 10, 2007

August 10, 2007 Stickers!

It’s amazing how much a simple colorful adhesive applied with precision to a piece of schoolwork can dramatically alter the impact or message. I was recently having a conversation with a co-worker while on a boat cruise (degree of sobriety still questionable) and we managed to stumble upon the topic of how we enjoyed getting stickers on school papers way back when we were young chaps. A very appropriate side story is that he actually worked on an assembly line that produced stickers, most of which were for school grading. Probably one of the most random things ever . . . but back to stickers.

Just think back on the good ol’ days when you would get an assignment or test back and it would have a smiley face or some crazy sun giving you two thumbs up (since when does the sun have appendages, and why would you ever want it to be 10 inches from your face). Even if you managed to perform poorly on a test or art project, a sticker would make it all better. I can definitely say there’s a huge difference between a teacher writing a message and a teacher slapping on a little stickery goodness to my paper. I know if a teacher wrote “see me after class,” I’d fake the flu and go hide in an orphanage. However, if she popped on a little “see me after class” sticker with a frowny elephant, you can bet I’d be the first one at her desk once class was over. “Hey mom, you need to sign this paper because I got a 55% on it, but it’s ok because the teacher gave me a sticker!”

I think the next big thing will be stickers in the workspace; it would definitely work to promote office efficiency and enthusiasm. I’m definitely going to work harder than Beaver Cleaver in order to get that sticker from upper management on my report. And I think I’d feel a little less postal if instead of getting a boring pink slip I got an awesome sticker on my keyboard of a penguin giving me two thumbs up saying “You’re Fired.” At least I’d have a cool sticker to give my kid before I gave him up for adoption and move to Copley Square to sleep on vent grates.

Song of the Week: “The Rescue Blues” by Ryan Adams.

Quote of the Week: “Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.” - Anonymous

Random Fact of the Week: A typist’s fingers travel over 12 and a half miles in an average day.

Picture of the Week: I am so confused . . .



Until next week, the tribe has spoken.


Fred

2 comments:

julesmc said...

Thank you for spreading the Ryan Adams love. I love Ryan Adams. I am going to see him (+ the Cardinals) on Halloween at the Hammerstein Ballroom. HA.

Unknown said...

I had a college class... actually a senior level history class where the professor gave out star stickers if you brought good discussion and theories to class. It worked. But please do not judge the integrity of my alma mater on this. Its embarassing.