Friday, June 1, 2007

June 1, 2007 Money Saving Advice

You know what really grinds my gears: Money-saving advice/tips. It seems like everyone out there has something to share about how to save some money. I’ll tell you how to save money: don’t spend it. It’s that easy. After conversing with Rich, he brought to my attention an excellent article to demonstrate this point: http://frugalliving.about.com/od/householdsavings/tp/Household_Save.htm. Please click, it’s work appropriate (not to mention you won’t have any idea what I’m talking about for the rest of the article).

A great example of this common-sense blabber is #2: “Cut Back On Extras.” “Do you really need . . . the premium cable or satellite package that you subscribe to?” Well, I guess not, come to think of it, I don’t even really need a TV at all. My grandparents never had one, and they turned out just fine. I have an even better idea, just walk down to the neighborhood restaurant or pizza shop, and enjoy a nice twosie! That’s right, save on water and plumbing costs by enjoying your gastrointestinal housecleaning in a public restroom!

And another one, #6: “Seek Cheap Thrills.” Now, I’m all for saving money, but let’s be realistic. No guy in his right mind would want to take a girl out on a first or second date to a free concert and a picnic. We’ve already established that girls are black belts in the art of manipulation, but did I mention they’re also cross-trained in sniffing out cheap men? I can tell you where you’ll end up buddy . . . single and lonely watching re-runs of Growing Pains.

However, my favorite from this site is #7: “Pay Your Bills On Time.” Wow . . . WOW. Four years of college and $160,000 later I’ve realized there are some things they never teach you in academia. Come on people, I can’t believe people actually need advice like that. And to think for some out there a little light bulb goes off and they think it’s the best advice they’ve been given since mom and pops told them to wipe their ass. Speaking of light bulbs, you can do us all a favor buster, go unscrew the one in your bathroom, chew on it a little, and stick your finger into the socket. I don’t want your kids dumbing down my kids in school. In the words of Smokey the Bear, “You too can help cleanse the gene pool.”



Song of the Week: “I’m Not Ready” by Modern Life Is War.

Quote of the Week: “I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don’t always agree with them.” – George H. W. Bush

Random Fact of the Week: Karaoke means “empty orchestra” in Japanese.

Picture of the Week: And they’ll give you a SPECIAL deal if you’re Islamic

Until next week, just because you have an opinion doesn’t mean people want to hear it,


Fred

1 comment:

Reid said...

to elaborate more on Fred's Final Comment, I am going to post from theonion.com - probably the best (and most informative) site on the Internet.


**Study: 38 Percent Of People Not Actually Entitled To Their Opinion

CHICAGO—In a surprising refutation of the conventional wisdom on opinion entitlement, a study conducted by the University of Chicago's School for Behavioral Science concluded that more than one-third of the U.S. population is neither entitled nor qualified to have opinions.

"On topics from evolution to the environment to gay marriage to immigration reform, we found that many of the opinions expressed were so off-base and ill-informed that they actually hurt society by being voiced," said chief researcher Professor Mark Fultz, who based the findings on hundreds of telephone, office, and dinner-party conversations compiled over a three-year period. "While people have long asserted that it takes all kinds, our research shows that American society currently has a drastic oversupply of the kinds who don't have any good or worthwhile thoughts whatsoever. We could actually do just fine without them."

In 2002, Fultz's team shook the academic world by conclusively proving the existence of both bad ideas during brainstorming and dumb questions during question-and-answer sessions.