Friday, June 22, 2007

June 22, 2007 Thank You For Your Interest

During my tenure as an unemployed American, I spent most of my time applying to jobs and figuring out better ways to annoy people. On one fateful day, March 27, 2007, I found a job posting that seemed extremely interesting to me. It was a Research Associate role within the Harvard Business School. However, to my dismay, this seeming match made in heaven was never to be. They notified me on June 15, 2007 that they had reviewed my resume and that I was not a good fit. What upset me was not that I had been turned away, it was that they took almost 3 months to get back to me. After polishing off a carton of Cherry Garcia ice cream and watching Days of Our Lives reruns, I sent the following letter to Harvard (names and addresses changed to protect identity):


June 20, 2007

Jane Doe
Director of Human Resources

Harvard Business School

Soldiers Field

Boston, MA 02163


Dear Ms. Doe:


Thank you for your recent posting informing me of a position you thought might be of interest to me within your organization. I certainly appreciate your interest in my skills.

After reviewing your credentials, I have determined that your opportunity does not suit my needs at this time. After interviewing many potential employers in my search process, I have accepted another opportunity whose reputation, credentials, and opportunity were better suited for my needs.


My initial impression of Harvard was that it stood for initiative, diligence, and character. However, over the past few months, I have seen that this is not the case. My impression of Harvard now is of laziness and an overall lack of character. That is not the type of organization with which I would like to associate myself or my career.


If a need arises for me to contact you in the future, I will retain your information on file for one year. Again, thank you for your interest.

Sincerely,


Fred Caloggero


Song of the Week: “Milestones” by Miles Davis.

Quote of the Week: “I often want to drown my sorrows, but I can’t get my wife to go swimming.” Jimmy Carter

Random Fact of the Week: The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet.

Picture of the Week: Shitty Kitty



Until next week, if the glove don’t fit, you must acquit.


Fred

1 comment:

julesmc said...

Great. Now I'm going to be late for a meeting because I've got to go vomit due to the blood comment. Let's keep random facts sanguine-free, huh?