Friday, July 20, 2007

July 20, 2007 Why People Hate America: Pt. 3

Coming into today I had no idea what I was going to mickey mouse together and loosely call an article. However, after an early morning conversation with an intern (from out of the country, which plays an important factor in the context) I’ve reaffirmed my belief that America is just plain and simple fat.

Intern was talking about first impressions of America. The FIRST impression Intern had was that America is fat. Not that the people try to be nice, not that it’s a very modern country that emphasizes hard work, not that we offer outstanding job opportunities, some of the best colleges and medical facilities. It’s that we’re fat. I’m not talking “I’m trying to lose a few pounds so I’ll look good in my bathing suit” fat. I’m talking about the 300+ lbs fat. Anyone else upset by that? “It’s not just that people are fat, but it’s that I’ve seen fat in places on people I’ve never even seen before. There are so many obese people.” Hold on Intern, let me just wash the vomit out of my mouth. Also, another appropriate observation was that half the time Intern would see fat people, they’d be walking around eating McDonald’s assembly line mutations or drinking a coke (maybe they were saving it for an emergency in which they would need to use it as a substitute for engine oil. Refer to the 4/13/07 post).

Granted some people can argue that it’s genetic. Sure, for some that’s true; I’ll give you a break and let you take all the time you need on the SATs as well. I’m going to go ahead and write you out a prescription for Accountability. Everyone wants to point the finger at someone else. “I’m fat because mommy and daddy did it to me.” All because of mommy and daddy? I’ll make sure to go slap them on the wrist and lock them up for child abuse, but give me a break, take some responsibility and ownership of your actions. I think it is sad to see kids that are fat, because in most cases, it is genetic or it is the fault of the parents. But how long can you continue to use that excuse; what's the cut-off, when you're a legal adult at 18? The more you tell people that, the more you start to honestly believe it yourself. If you know you’re going to face that issue, start doing something to prevent it, don’t rack up frequent flyer miles at McDonald’s. Not to be overly critical or people, but this is the first impression people are getting of America. Is that really what we want it to be?


Song of the Week: “Rest My Chemistry” by Interpol

Quote of the Week: “There’s no me in team.” – Lauren Lawlor

Random Fact of the Week: The Baby Ruth candy bar was actually named after Grover Cleveland's baby daughter, Ruth.

Picture of the Week: Best add ever



Until next week, fat bottom girls, you make the rockin' world go 'round.


Fred

No comments: