Friday, November 23, 2007

November 23, 2007 Holiday Traveling

The holiday season is traditionally a time of heavy traveling. And of course during a time when many people cram into small areas, tempers flare and incompetence (read: mild retardation) spills out onto everyone exposed to it.

During my recent travels, I was lucky enough to have minimal exposure to such unsettling and frustrating practices, but I'm sure the same can't be said for most people. I've never really understood what is so difficult about traveling: You make sure to show up early, check in (check any bags if you have any), grab the ticket, do the security dance, and then go sit and wait for the plane. Once boarding occurs, find the row that matches the number on your ticket (unless you fly southwest, but I'm not even going to get into their archaic boarding procedures) and then have yourself a seat. For some reason people find it necessary to make each of these steps a little bit more complicated and time consuming than it needs to be.

Let's take a look at security. Obviously security measures have changed significantly since 9/11, but I feel some are a tad overboard. Taking out all liquids? Questionable. They swiped my water and threw it out without even asking me. That was BS considering I paid $2.49 for it and only drank half of it. And making you put all liquids into a plastic baggy. I definitely feel safer knowing that when that liquid compound bomb blows up there's a Ziploc bag covering it to contain the explosion. It's just another completely unnecessary step that creates problems and inefficiencies in an already inefficient process. Who's to say that person isn't going to go take it out of the Ziploc bag as soon as they sit down? What a waste of time . . . and plastic, which creates trash. I'm telling the environmentalists and Green Party on you.

We've all experienced the boarding problems. For some reason, people find it more difficult than calculus to try and find their row. Usually when I do it, I just match the row number on my ticket to the number above the row on the plane. I don't know, maybe that's just me. The best is when you tell someone they're sitting in your seat, they argue with you, they find out that they are in fact sitting in the wrong seat, and then act like you're the a-hole that's causing the inconvenience. Maybe a little dope-slap will knock some sense into them. And never mind the idiots that can't find the right row, what about the chumps milling about in the isles oblivious to the fact that 50 people behind them are waiting for him/her to take a seat. Sometimes I just really wonder what's going on in peoples heads. But I'm sure if I found out, I'd be really, really disappointed.

Song of the Week: "Flutter" by Bonobo. An excellent tune to climb to.

Quote of the Week: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was." - Irish Proverb

Random Fact of the Week: The name for Oz in "The Wizard of Oz" was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence "Oz."

Picture of the Week: One of these objects is not like the others.

Until next week, it's a hitter's game.

Fred

No comments: